If you’ve ever had store bought kale chips then you probably think kale chips are disgusting. I’ve never tried one from a store that I’ve liked, and I’m pretty sure I’ve tried them all. They’re not cheap either so it’s an incredibly irritating process to buy them, only to realize you’ve basically thrown your money down the toilet.
I got this recipe from a friend of mine, who happens to be a great chef as well. I used to beg him to make them because I thought they were such a big hassle, but once you make them once or twice you get used to it, and it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal. It’s honestly just the washing part of it all. Washing 5 bundles of kale is no small feet, but I’ve now got it down to a science.
Once the kale is washed, it only takes a few minutes to make the sauce and mix it all together. I usually do it at night because they need to go in the dehydrator for 2 hours at 145, and then at least another 9 hours at 115. I usually switch it over to 115 right before bed.
They will take up about 5 trays in your dehydrator and fill the whole thing up. At the end you’ll have a large bowl of kale chips that won’t last very long because they’re just too good. Since I’m pregnant right now, raw kale is an ideal snack for me. It’s loaded with folate, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, and tons of fiber. If you’re looking for great skin and nails, look no further than kale.
Best Kale Chips Ever!
- 5 Bunches of kale (washed and stemmed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 cups cashews (or one 9 oz jar Viva Pura raw cashew butter)
- 1 cup lemon juice (you can squeeze your own, but I usually buy Santa Cruz lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Wash and stem kale.
- Massage salt and olive oil in washed kale.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Feel free to add more olive oil if it’s too thick to keep moving and blending.
- Massage kale with the mixture.
- Divide among your dehydrator tray and dehydrate for 2 hours at 145. Then turn it down to 115 for another 9 to 10 hours. It could be more hours if it’s humid.