If you read my blog, you know I’m a fan of the slow cooker. Slow cookers are a great way to make healthy meals with only a few minutes of prep. My kids almost always like slow cooker meals which is an even bigger bonus.
I try to eat cruciferous, cancer-fighting, vegetables at least once a day. A bowl of this soup has a few servings of cruciferous cabbage, protein packed beans, and almost no fat.
I make this while I’m making the kid’s breakfast before they go to school in the morning. I love dropping them off knowing I’m done cooking for the day! I left out a few ingredients I don’t use from the original recipe, but it’s a great book if you’re looking for vegetarian, slow cooker recipes.
French White Bean and Cabbage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small head green cabbage (cored and shredded)
- 1 large yukon gold potato peeled and diced (I did not peel)
- 1 1/2 cups slow cooked or one 15.5 once can cannellni or other white bean (drained and rinsed)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- Saute the onions, carrot, and garlic, cook until softened – about 5 minutes
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a slow cooker (big), add cabbage, potato, beans, stock and thyme, season with salt and pepper cover and cook for 6 hours.
Leave a Reply