It seems like my kids are always bugging me for donuts, and although I think they have a consistency that’s more like cupcakes or brownies, I put them in donut molds and they think they’re donuts. I also make them in cupcake molds and call them cupcakes, and a brownie pan, and well you get the point. Regardless of what I call them, they’re always a hit.
They’re grain-free, low glycemic, and full of fiber and healthy fats so they can literally have them for breakfast and I don’t care.
The recipe calls for 5 eggs, so I’m afraid my vegan friends may have a difficult time substituting, but please try and let me know how it goes!
This recipe is from Kelly Brozyna’s The Paleo Chocolate Lovers’ Cookbook.
Grain-Free Chocolate Donuts/Brownies
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce (no added sugar)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp liquid vanilla Stevia
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease the doughnut pans.
- In a blender, purée the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the blender and purée until smooth.
- Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer the batter to a large plastic food storage bag. Cut ½” off a corner of the bag and pour doughnuts into the pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cooked doughnuts cool in the pan for a few minutes. Run a spoon around the edges to loosen, and carefully remove the doughnuts. Let them cool completely on wire racks.
Leave a Reply