These are are a perfect swap for traditional sugar cookies. The holidays typically leave people feeling overweight and tired, but they don’t have to. A few easy changes can keep traditions, and keep everyone happy, while at the same time not sacrificing your health. The key to optimal health and energy is stable blood sugar and limiting inflammation. Clearly your typical sugar cookie is the antitheses of that. These are made with fiber and protein rich almond flour to stabilize blood sugar, and honey – a natural sweetener that won’t wreak havoc with your immune system. They also happen to be incredibly easy to make with only 5 ingredients.
Holiday Sugar Cookies – Grain and Sugar-Free
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Use two bowls – 1 for dry and 1 for wet ingredients.
- In the first, combine the almond flour and salt. In the second, combine the coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract. Then add the dry to the wet ingredients and combine. You can use a hand mixer or just a spoon.
- If you want to make shapes, put the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour. Then roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper. If the sought is sticky, dust with a little almond flour. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and cut the cookies into whatever shapes you chose.
- Transfer the cutouts to a cookie pan covered with parchment paper with two inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool for an hour and serve.