This recipe if from my first website, so it’s probably from around 2010, but the kids still like them. Dates are super high on the glycemic index, so if you’re healing from an autoimmune issue, or trying to heal your adrenals, you should pass on this one.
They are easy to make, and aside from the chocolate, they are really healthy. You can get away with a very thin layer of chocolate to keep them as healthy as possible, and since dates are so naturally sweet, you won’t miss it. Also, since these are loaded with protein and fiber, the sugar is absorbed a little slower.
Homemade Candy Bars
- 16 dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Put the almonds and walnuts in a food processor and chop into medium sized pieces.
- Remove 1/2 the nuts and place in a bowl. Add salt to the mixture in the bowl.
- Add the dates, and vanilla to the food processor, and mix until ingredients are well combined.
- Combine the mixture from the food processor with the mixture in the bowl.
- Spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for an hour.
- After an hour, melt the chocolate chips on low in a saucepan, and spread on top of the date/nut mixture.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- These keep really well in the freezer if you want to keep them around longer than a few days.