A few weeks ago we got the Excalibur 3900 Deluxe Series Dehydrator, and I’ve used it almost every day since!
It’s great because food are able to maintain their nutrients because they are not being cooked.
1) Taste – Sometimes citrus foods can be, well, too “citrusie” for me. The dehydrator makes a lot fruits easier for me to eat raw (i.e. pineapple).
2) Convenience – Dehydrated fruit is great for mindless snacking while watching TV because you don’t have to worry about eating too much.
It’s also great for taking with you, especially for kids. My kids have a habit of getting fruit stains on their hands and then on me. Since dehydrated fruit has had the moisture removed, it’s not at all as messy as non-dehydrated.
I make 4-5 trays of fruit a day! I can hardly keep up with the demand for the stuff around my house!
3) Healthy Raw Desserts – It’s also great for making raw desserts like this amazing oatmeal cookie recipe!
4) Food Preservation – By removing water from food, you are inhibiting the growth of microorganisms (enzymes) and bacteria, so it last longer.
5) Save Money- Ever buy, or grow, too much parsley, cilantro, or other herbs? Right before they are going to go bad, and you know you won’t use them, throw them in the dehydrator and save them for when you need them. Same goes for bananas, apples, or other fruit that is about to go bad.