When I originally did this post, it was for my old website when I was vegan. I no longer use butter substitutes. I use organic grass fed butter. I kept the video up because my son is now 13 and I like to keep the memory of where this recipe originated.
They are still cookies- but a healthier version for when you want a treat.
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup pureed banana (about 1/2 large banana)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips. (I like Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda and oats. Set aside.
- Melt the butter on the stove in a small pan; do not allow it to brown. Or place it in a glass cup and melt in a microwave oven set on high for 50 seconds. Pour the margarine into a medium-size mixing bowl and add the sugars, banana and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, stir until smooth.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour ingredients and stir until it forms a dough. Stir in the chocolate chips
- Spoon the dough by level tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake the cookies on the middle rack of the oven until lightly puffed and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. They should be a little soft, but not too squishy in the center.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to wire racks. They will firm up further as they cool. Serve the cookies warm or cool.
YIELD 3 dozen cookies
Leave a Reply