These grain-free recipes are so great, and more importantly, my brain is functioning so much better without grains and sugar. My energy is more stable, and I’m happier.
I know there are eggs and honey in most of these, and this site started out as a vegan site, but I like to think I’m someone who’s open to change when need be. For those of you who do not care to use these ingredients I totally get it, and know you can make these grain-free recipes with substitutes.
I’ve had a lot of the luck with the Against the Grain Cookbooks. These recipes are consistently good, and simple.
When I create a new post I need to select a category, but this one fell into a few. It qualifies as a breakfast, a snack, and a dessert. It’s also a good take-with snack. I make it on a fairly regular basis, and no one is sick of it yet. That’s rare. I usually add 1/2 cup walnuts for extra brain healthy fats, but it stands on it’s own without them if you don’t like adding nuts to your breads.
Banana Bread - Grain Free
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (plus some extra for greasing the pan)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour, sifted
- 1 tsp backing soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- * optional add ins: chocolate chips, walnuts, dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Place 2T of coconut oil, eggs, honey, vanilla, and vinegar into a mixer and beat on high for 30 seconds. (You can use a stick blender or hand mixers as well).
- Combine the coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a bowl, then add them to the wet ingredients, beating on high until combined.
- Place the coconut milk and bananas in a separate bowl and mash until it resembles baby food.
- Add the banana mixture to the batter and beat on medium until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in optional add ins if desired.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for about 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply