Just in time for a hostess gift, or to make for your family at home, this won’t disappoint.
This is obviously gluten-free, but also grain free and low glycemic. It’s still a dessert so if you’re healing, have a small portion. It’s important not to go into deprivation mode over the holidays, or you’ll cave in a moment of weakness and overdo it. Eating meals with fat, protein and lots of vegetables with keep cravings at bay. Most importantly hydrate!! Drink water and often, and enjoy life!
P.S. The first group of ingredients is for the crust. I’m still navigating my new recipe software 🙂
Grain Free Blueberry Pie
- 2 1/4 cups cashew flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5 tbsp grass-fes unsalted butter
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp arrowroot flour
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
- In a food processor, combine the cashew flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, and sea salt and process for 15 seconds until combined.
- Add the maple syrup and process for 15 seconds until combined and crumbly.
- Add the cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse the food processor a couple times in-between, until the butter is pea sized and the dough starts to come together.
- Using your hands, pack the dough into a tight ball and flatten it into a disc. Wrap it tightly it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 4 hours.
- Once the dough is done chilling, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Place the dough in between two large pieces of parchment paper on a flat surface. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch diameter circle that’s approximately 1/2 inch thick. Move the dough and parchment onto a baking sheet.
- Place all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and gently stir until combined.
- Scoop the filling into the center of the rolled out pastry. Fold up the sides of the pastry so that there is approximately 2 inches of pastry over top the outside edge of the filling. Pinch together any gaps or cracks.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and coconut milk. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash onto the top of the pastry. Place the galette into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
This is a great alternative, or addition to, traditional pumpkin and pecan pies. It's low glycemic, anti-inflammatory, and full of anti-oxidants. It's still a dessert, so if you're in the process of healing you should have a small portion. It was quickly devoured at our house! #Against the Grain
Leave a Reply