Most dressings are full of low quality, carcinogenic vegetable oils, and/or dairy. In other words, inflammatory. Whole Foods is starting to get some better options, but it’s still much healthier, and tastier to make your own. My kids love Caesar, Ranch and Balsamic the most. Balsamic is obviously easy (I add Apple Cider Vinegar for added gut health). I still haven’t come up with a good Ranch, but this Caesar is great!
I like to make croutons with the rice free or paleo bread from Mason Dixon Bakery.
Caesar Salad (Dairy Free)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp drained capers
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6-8 drained anchovies depending on your taste (I like 8)
- 1-2 cloves garlic depending on your taste (I like 1)
- 1/2 cup high quality olive oil
- 1-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I use 3)
- Put all the ingredients in a small immersion blender and combine. It’s ok to have some chunks. It doesn’t need to be totally smooth, but close. Combine with romaine or butter lettuce, and store remaining dressing in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- If you like croutons, preheat the oven to 300. Chop the bread into desired sizes. Place on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, sprinkle olive oil and sea salt, then mix it with your hands. Spread across the foil so the pieces are separated and cook until crisp, about 20-30 minutes depending on your bread.
I can’t wait to make for my kids (and me) tonight! Would love to know another favorite lunch or dinner your kids like:)
Do you have any dietary restrictions?