Before I went gluten-free, I had a pie crust that I loved. It’s been a few years since I’ve been able to find the right one to take it’s place. Of course I found an amazing one from Against the Grain. The filling is my own creation, and it’s quite good I have to say. It can get a bit runny if you don’t wait for it to cool. Same goes for the crust. If it still seems runny, add more arrowroot. If you chose to leave the top off, as many people do with berry pies, the moisture will evaporate and it won’t be a problem. If you put a pastry crust on top, as I do, them add a tablespoon more arrowroot and let it cool completely.
Strawberry Pie Grain-Free
- 2 1/2 Cups Blanched almond flour
- 1 tbls Coconut flour
- 1 Large Large cold egg
- 5 tsp Ice water
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 3 1/2 tbls Palm shortening
- 4 1/2 cups 4 1/2 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 tbls 2 TBLS lemon juice
- 3 tbls 3 TBLS Maple Syrup
- 2 tbls 2 TBLS Raw Honey
- 1/3 cup Arrowroot powder - add another TBSL is adding pastry top
- Preheat Oven to 315
- Place the first five ingredients in a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add the shortening in small amounts, spacing it around the bowl. Pulse 4 or 5 times. You may need to manually mash it in to blend completely.
- Press the dough into the pie pan and up the sides. BUT only press is up to the top, and not around the top rim. Save some pastry in the refrigerator for the rim. When you add the filling, you can add the rim. Otherwise, the rim will bake twice.
- Once you have the pastry pressed in the pan, cut parchment paper in a circle, then weigh it down. You can use another baking pan that fits in, or pie weights.
- Bake until the edges turn golden. About 10 minutes. Remove the paper, and weights. Bake for five more minutes.
- Combine the ingredients and set aside.
- Take the remaining pastry from the refrigerator, and add it to the rim of your pie pan. Then put your filling in the pre-baked crust.
- If you're adding a pastry top, do it now.
- Bake for another 15 minutes at 325.