Just Banana muffins contain no salt, no sugar, no oil, and no flour!
The recipe comes from Forks Over Knives, and if you’re not familiar, you need to check out their website. Forks Over Knives is one of the best documentaries I’ve seen. Click here to see the full post I did about it last year.
The muffins are easy to make (especially if you have a Vita-Mix), and are great for snacks, desserts, or breakfast on the go. The coolest part for the kids was making oat flour by putting the oats in the vita-mix. Another great opportunity to show kids how foods/ingredients are made.
On my continual hunt for healthy treats for the kids, this was a great find!
Just Banana Muffins
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 2 cups oats, ground into flour (preferably with a vita-mix)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sodium-free baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Grind oats into a flour.
- Place in a large bowl and add all the other dry ingredients.
- Puree bananas in a food processor fitted with the “S” blade until smooth.
- Add the apple juice, applesauce, extract and apple cider vinegar and process again until combined.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Do not over mix.
- Pour into muffin liners filling about 2⁄3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.