This stew has tons of vegetables, but it’s pretty sweet so most kids like it. I like to make it when families come over because most kids will eat it. I generally like recipes that don’t require so many ingredients because I’m always in a hurry, but it really doesn’t take that long – maybe 20 minutes of prep. After that it doesn’t require a lot of attention.
We usually do a soup or stew with a salad for dinner, and as a result our kids have never had a problem going “#2”. I can’t believe how many parents tell me it’s an issue with their kids. Soups and stews like this are an easy way to fix that quickly. Cabbage is especially good for digestion.
Sweet Cabbage Stew
- 1 tbsp Ghee, or non-dairy butter, or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 oz chopped shallots
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 small carrots (chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium chopped sweet potato
- 9 oz chopped tomatoes
- 24 oz cooked cannellini beans
- 1 lb white or green cabbage (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt oil and butter (dairy, or non). Add shallots. Sautee until tender. Add garlic. Sautee for about a minute.
- Add celery, carrots and salt. Stiring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, tomatoes, beans, wine, stock, cabbage, and a little more salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. After about 5 minutes, stir, add bay leaves and let simmer covered for about 45 minutes.