I’m not even sure where this recipe came from, but this is the best carrot cake I’ve ever had (pre and post vegan). No other can compete!
I usually post healthy recipes, but occasionally we need to give in to gluttony. This is one of those times. The cake and the frosting combined have a whole cup of butter, but it’s worth it. Total crowd pleaser, and great for vegan doubters!
The kids like to frost it themselves. So I just cut smaller pieces and put a little extra frosting in a bowl. With this recipe there’s plenty of extra.
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated walnuts
- 1/2 cup organic grass fed butter
- 1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 container non-dairy cream cheese (or organic dairy cream cheese if you eat dairy)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.Combine applesauce, vanilla, vegan margarine, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, flour and soy milk until well mixed. Add carrots and walnuts.Spread batter evenly in baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Combine the cream cheese and margarine. Slowly add the powdered sugar, then vanilla and lemon juice.
baking soda and baking powder is the same
The ingredient list says baking soda, but then in the prep it says baking powder. Which is it?